ABOUT THE MASH TUN
Formerly known as "The Station Bar" the building was originally constructed in 1896 by James Campbell, a sea captain, who instructed a marine architect to design the building in the shape of a small ship.
A pledge contained in the title deeds, made in 1963 by the owner at the time states that since Dr Beeching closed the railway in Aberlour then a name change was appropriate - but that if ever a train should pull up at the station again then the pub will revert to "The Station Bar".
The current name comes from the whisky and brewing industry and is the large vessel or vat in which the malted barley is mixed with water and yeast.
Commonly these vessels are anywhere up to eight metres in diameter and up to six metres deep. In practice there are large stirrers that are mechanically driven inside a mash tun.
At the Mash Tun we are dog friendly! Unfortunately not in our rooms but dogs are welcome in our Bar and Restaurant.
All our rooms are accessed via stairs and therefore unsuitable for wheelchair access.
The Local Area
We can advise guests on how to book fishing on the River Spey or shooting on nearby estates.
Storage for rods, cycles etc is available. The Speyside Way, a popular walking and cycling route, is only a few moments away.
SPEYSIDE IN A MASH TUN
Stayed 3 nights at this fantastic pub/B&B/restaurant together with two friends. Central place to visit most of Speyside and just a great place with an awesome atmosphere.